Home ownership is a tough job. There’s always something to be improving or fixing on top of other daily responsibilities. Sometimes the greatest threats to a home are the ones that aren’t readily apparent.
Mould damage can be devastating, both to one’s health and to one’s home. Like with many issues, the sooner it’s discovered and dealt with, the better. Here are five warning signs of mould in your home.
Seeing mould is the most obvious sign that mould is present. The challenge with seeing mould is that it often means there is more mould out of sight. Additionally, mould often shows up in areas that aren’t obvious. You may not notice that you have mould growing on the window behind the couch until you take the curtains down to be washed or lean under the cupboard to get something near the sink.
Taking a proactive approach to checking for mould in areas that are exposed to moisture is your best bet for proper mould removal. Scan the areas near your windows and fixtures on a monthly basis.
If you have a musty smell in your home that you can’t get rid of, there’s a good chance that mould is present. As mould grows, it takes on a more powerful odor. Some people compare it to wet socks or a wet, earthy smell.
If you’re experiencing this issue, follow your nose and see if you can detect the source. If you can’t narrow it down, call a mould removal specialist to take a look. The problem could be inside your walls or floorboards.
Spongy Floors or Walls
Mould is a living thing. This spore can slowly eat away at your walls and floors. When this starts to happen, it creates a change in the textural integrity of the affected space. You may notice a soft spot on your hardwood floor that has a little more give than the areas surrounding it. Your hand might not get the resistance you’d expect by pushing on the wall.
If you have access to a crawl space, you can take a look for any moisture spots underneath your floor. Otherwise, you may require a specialist to use a scope to take a look behind the walls or under the flooring to determine if mould is present.
Perhaps the scariest thing about mould is the impact it can have on your health and well-being. If you or your family members have a persistent cough or allergy-like symptoms that won’t go away or seem to intensify while at home, it could be a sign of mould. Those with asthma or other breathing challenges can be significantly impacted by this issue.
If you have a persistent cough that won’t go away, start by dusting and deep cleaning your home. This may help you find a hidden mould spot or remove other potential irritants and allergens. If the problem persists, have a specialist check for mould.
Moisture and Condensation
Moisture and condensation cause mould over time. So, if you notice a lot of moisture on your windows or have a particularly damp basement, it’s important to take corrective action. Using a dehumidifier can reduce the risk of mould or keep it at bay temporarily. If you don’t already have an air exchanger or basic bathroom fan in place, installing them should be a priority.
If you have a lot of moisture in your home, it’s a good idea to have it checked for hidden mould sources as well.
Mould control is essential to maintain the value of your home and to keep your family happy and healthy. It’s an issue that needs to be dealt with quickly and effectively to prevent long-term damage.