Design, embraced as a personal philosophy, provides for a considered way of living. Imbuing beauty, grace and joy in the ordinary, a design-centric point-of-view can connect seemingly disparate aspects of the everyday. From the decoration of our homes and our appreciation for furnishings, art and books, to our choices in fashion, entertaining and travel … design has the power to realize a more integrated, elevated life experience.
The Pacific Design Center (PDC) delves into all aspects of that power with INSPIRED STYLE: How Design Influences a Well-Lived Life at its Fall Market 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM on Thursday, September 26. The inspiring line-up will feature today’s celebrated tastemakers sharing how leading their lives and careers by a well-lived life creed, in an age of ever-diminishing refinement, enhances personal and professional success for both themselves and their clients. A-listers will reveal their inspiring journeys—where design and a joie de vivre spirit intersect both work and play. And while at Market, experience nearly 100 new line introductions, open houses, receptions and showroom programs, plus seven book signings.
The day’s programming includes:
For the first time ever, keynotes will take place in the fifth-floor Atrium, the soaring and sun-drenched space at the top of the PDC.
MORNING KEYNOTE, 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM
24-7 TASTEMAKING: How to Turn Living Well into Doing Well
Creativity isn’t a 9 to 5 gig but a point-of-view on life, where inspiration can feed not just the current project, but the soul. For some interior designers, the impulse to put their fingerprint on more than rooms manifests in “side hustles” from fashion shops to branding agencies – that position creatives as the tastemakers and life curators they are. Join author and editor Sophie Donelson as she reveals how chef, author and “entertainologist” Lulu Powers; brand expert, designer and stylist Gen Sohr; and interior designer and author Estee Stanley have turned their own homes and personal style into thriving businesses – and look damn good on Instagram to boot! A reception with Sophie Donelson and the panel, along with a book signing of Estee Stanley’s new tome In Comfort and Style, follows at Thibaut | Arte | Egg & Dart, Suite B684.
AFTERNOON KEYNOTE, 3:00 PM – 4:00 PM
PRACTICAL MAGIC: Elevating Our Lives with Design, presented by Interiors
Design is all around us, influencing and reflecting our habits and choices every day. Eschewing the Instagram illusion of “perfection,” we get real on the true meaning of living well and design’s role as the catalyst. Join Interiors Editor-in-Chief Erika Heet, designer Natasha Baradaran, designer and author Paul Fortune and tastemaker Thomas Lavin as they allow us a glimpse into their processes and philosophies of curating the good life. We’ll peel back the layers of the glitz, glamour and gloss of the design world to find its true core, with an organic, grounded exploration of the simple realities of design’s place in a truly fulfilling existence. A reception with Interiors Magazine and the panel, along with a book signing of Paul Fortune’s Notes on Décor, follows at Thomas Lavin, Suites B309/B310.
11:00 AM – 12:00 PM
- Keynote Reception + Book Signing at Thibaut | Arte | Egg & Dart, Suite B684 | Keynote Sponsors Thibaut, Arte and Egg & Dart invite you to join moderator Sophie Donelson and the panel for a showroom reception following the morning presentation, featuring a book signing of Estee Stanley’s new tome In Comfort and Style.
11:30 AM – 12:30 PM
- Fashion Meets Function: Modern Interiors, California Style at Baker Furniture, Suite B525 | Join legacy furniture brand McGuire, distinguished interior designer Nicole Hollis and writer/designer Mallery Roberts Morgan for a thought-provoking conversation on how fashion inspires home design. Hollis will lend insight into the design process of her first furniture collection—the newly debuted 27-piece line with McGuire—which draws from couture fashion and textiles in combination with McGuire’s signature natural materials and legacy of approachable luxury.
- Duo Demo: Motorized Drapery Redefined at J Geiger Shading, Suite B112 | Join shading system designer James Geiger for an exclusive look at P Series Duo, a patent-pending, shade/drape concept launching in select markets this Fall. Explore the functional benefits of layered window treatments, and learn more about the minimalist principles that inspired Geiger to rethink pockets, conceal curtain tracks and redefine the look of motorized drapes.
11:30 AM – 1:00 PM
- New Collection + Book Signing with Timothy Corrigan at Schumacher, Suite B523 | Please Join us in a conversation with Timothy Corrigan as he discusses his latest collection with Schumacher which speaks to the return of traditional layered rooms where color and pattern comingle, and comfort is key. The blend of European refinement and California warmth create stylish, sophisticated schemes! Following his collection presentation, Timothy will be signing copies of his new book The New Elegance: Stylish, Comfortable Rooms for Today.
12:00 PM – 1:00 PM
- CEU Presentation – An Understanding of Acoustical Treatments, Sound Isolation &
Designing a Home Theater at CinemaTech Seating, Acoustics, Bespoke Design, Suite M26 | Having the best audio and video equipment in a home theater does not guarantee the best sounding room or optimal experience. Join CinemaTech, the experts in private home cinemas, for a CEU class on the essentials of acoustical treatments in home theaters, how to isolate sound, essential dimensions for the best layouts and current trends. Hosted by Alma Gomez, Client Advisor for Cinematech, Alma leverages her expertise in home theater design and construction to educate and inspire the design community on best practices for home cinemas.
- All About Collaboration: When Markets Collide at Tai Ping, Suite B400 | Join Business of Home Contributing Editor Arianne Nardo as she leads a discussion featuring Transition State Design partners Kelli Granello, Jenna Rochon and Lauren Schneider on taking risks and leveraging expertise to meet client demands. The partners launched their studio from three different design backgrounds … fashion, commercial and residential … and have carved out a niche for those who value effortless style with a sense of laidback California luxury.
- Defining Your Brand Ethos: Trends, Designer Influencers and Social Media at Tidelli Outdoor Living, Suite B116 | In the age of social media where anyone can be a “design influencer,” how do brands and design firms maintain their ethos and aesthetic while also navigating ever-changing trends influenced by social media and trending “likes?” Join Design Milk Founder and Executive Editor Jaime Derringer and A+D pros Christopher Brandon, Brandon Architects; Jamie Bush, Jamie Bush + Co.; Lynde Galloway, Lynde Galloway Interiors; and Kate Lester, Kate Lester Interiors in a conversation exploring how to stay true to your aesthetic and continue positioning yourself as an authority in the design space, while adapting to design trends and social media expectations.
12:30 PM – 1:30 PM
- Cortney Bishop Collection Launch at Holland & Sherry, Suite B305 | Join Holland & Sherry and Cortney Bishop in celebrating the launch of her debut fabric line Harwood House. Inspired by Bishop’s family heritage, the line offers a refreshing twist on classic patterns. The premier offering, the Cardinal Collection, features a variety of patterns including houndstooths, plaids, stripes and folklore motifs, embodying the epitome of hand-made quality classics and modern flair, with a color palette unearthed from its muse, the cardinal. Light refreshments served.
1:00 PM – 2:00 PM
- Cultural Inspiration on a World Level at Armani/Casa, Suite G196 | Our designers walk the walk, talk the talk, and live the life they design. The quintessential designer is not only well-traveled and well-read, but is well-versed in all things cool, worldly, cultural and sophisticated. Join architecture and design educator Eleanor Schrader in an all-star discussion with tastemakers Soheil Mehraban, Mehraban Rugs; Erik Peterson, PHX Architecture; Mark Weaver, Mark Weaver & Associates; and Wade Weissmann, Wade Weissmann Architecture as they reveal stories of exotic locations, intriguing historical tales and iconic pieces that they collect around the world to elevate our lives and our homes.
1:30 PM – 2:30 PM
- Transparency and the Newly Informed Client at Quintus, Suite B519 | Our clients are more engaged and better informed than ever. And the Internet is giving them unprecedented access to information, pricing and resources. Moderated by Quintus CEO Jobi Blachy, panelists Janice Barta, Barta Interiors; Andrea Popkin, Annette English + Associates; and Delta Wright, Delta Wright Interior Design share how to deal with this new industry reality—from buying to billing—while leveraging opportunities to their own competitive advantages. Sponsored by Luxe Interiors
1:30 PM – 3:00 PM
- Dive-In with DEDON at DEDON, Suite B188 | DEDON invites you for an inspired meet-and-greet book signing with photographers Annie Kelly and Tim Street-Porter as they introduce their new work from Rizzoli, Splash: The Art of the Swimming Pool. Poolside beverages and tasty treats served. Books are available for sale and guests have the opportunity to win one of two giveaways.
2:00 PM – 3:00 PM
- Presentation + Book Signing at JANUS et Cie, Suites B146/B193 | JANUS et Cie hosts a panel discussion with Gere Kavanaugh discussing her considerable influence on art, design and culture in California from the 1960s onward and in celebration of her new biography A Colorful Life: Gere Kavanaugh, Designer. Joining the panel, authors Louise Sandhaus and Kat Catmur look at Kavanaugh’s prolific community of friends and collaborators, including Ruth Asawa, Wallace Berman, Frank Gehry, Sister Corita Kent, Charles Moore, Deborah Sussman, and others. A book signing and light refreshments with Kavanaugh follows the presentation.
- Sagamore by Barclay Butera at Kravet, Suite B690 | Take a trip to the Adirondacks with esteemed interior designer Barclay Butera as he debuts the Sagamore Collection with Kravet. Inspired by Butera’s many travels, this collection of fabric offers laid-back luxury that is always refined. Business of Home Contributing Editor Arianne Nardo joins Butera for an exclusive discussion into the designer’s glamorous yet comfortable lifestyle and how it sets the stage for his sophisticated designs. Refreshments served.
- Celebrating Jeff Andrews’ New Book at PERFEC Hardwood Floors, Suite 299 | Please join PERFEC Hardwood Floors and author, interiors and product designer Jeff Andrews to celebrate his first book The New Glamour: Interiors with Star Quality. PERFEC also presents Variations, Jeff’s wood collection for Jamie Beckwith. Among his honors, Jeff was recently included in the 2019 Elle Décor A-List and is the 2019 California Home + Design Southern California Design Icon. Refreshments and prosecco served.
- New Collection Debut with Betty Lou Phillips and VERANDA at Samuel & Sons, Suite B609 | Join Samuel & Sons for an insightful Q&A with interior designer Betty Lou Phillips, VERANDA and Hearst Luxury & Design Collection’s Karen Elizabeth Marx, Executive Director, Home Furnishings & Special Projects, as we celebrate the launch of Betty Lou’s new book French Refreshed, while discussing the evolution of trim and how it relates to the upscale sensibilities of 21st century American design.
4:00 PM – 5:00 PM
- Keynote Reception + Book Signing + Dream Room Contest Winner Announced at Thomas Lavin, Suites B309/B310 | Thomas Lavin hosts the Interiors keynote reception with Editor-in-Chief Erika Heet and co-panelists Natasha Baradaran and Paul Fortune, who will be signing his new book Notes on Decor. While at the reception, come celebrate the inaugural Thomas Lavin Kiosk Design Competition and discover the winning Dream Room created by a Next Gen Designer as voted by the keynote panelists.
- Sheers and Beers: A Celebration of Transparent Textiles at Quintus, Suite B519 | Referencing our earlier presentation topic of transparency in interior design, the Quintus showroom will be swathed in sheer fabrics from our textile vendors as you enjoy an ethereal atmosphere, imbibing domestic and international craft beers. Sponsored by Luxe Interiors + Design.
ART AT THE PDC
Vagabondism By Anna Fasshauer
On View Sept 2019 – June 2020
Spanning a variety of disciplines and mediums, including sculpture, photography, architecture, design and performance, PDC showcases work from a cross-section of artists, curators and gallerists to present temporary special exhibitions and site-specific installations on a rotating basis, utilizing the dramatic spaces of the Design Center’s Blue Lobby as a interactive canvas. On view in the PDC’s Blue Lobby, September 2019 through June 2020, are recent sculptures by Berlin-based artist Anna Fasshauer in an exhibition entitled Vagabondism. Out of place in figurative and literal terms, the works, made from industrially produced aluminum beams sourced from El Paso, function as “vagabonds” existing in time and dislocation. Using only her body and a tooling gun to bend and crush metal, Fasshauer’s rare working method, governed by her own strength, height and weight takes the cold, stiff, industrial material and renders it fluid and malleable, humanizing the works’ Franz West- like playful punk aesthetic. Fasshauer’s work has been exhibited in major institutions such as Barbican Center, London, the Petit Palais, Paris and the KW Institute for Contemporary Art, Berlin. Very few contemporary artists master both the medium and the full extent of the production process as thoroughly as Anna Fasshauer. Curator Marc Leblanc states: “If there’s anything the last quarter century has made evident for art, it’s that objecthood was never a subject that could be left behind. Where one might say that theoretical discourse on the subject certainly waned in the last decade before the new millennium, it’s become pertinent today to recognize the role novel interpretations of the object are having on contemporary art practices. And perhaps as a result of such an abundance of novel theory, the art object remains as inexhaustible and baffling as ever.”
PDC’s Fall Market theme, INSPIRED STYLE: How Design Influences a Well-Lived Life, reveals how a well-lived life creed enhances personal and professional success for designers and clients, alike. Applying the INSPIRED STYLE philosophy, LA design students and PDC showroom professionals team-up to create project presentation boards for an imagined or real-life client, capturing the spirit of the “Well-Lived Life” concept through the products and essence of the partnering showrooms.
9:00 AM – 10:00 AM | 5th FLOOR BLUE BUILDING
Join us for an awards presentation along with a student meet-and-greet reception and viewing of the designer presentation boards, hosted on the 5thFloor of the PDC Blue Building.
4:30 PM – 5:30 PM | 5th FLOOR BLUE BUILDING
Come celebrate our emerging professionals and their creativity with a champagne reception to conclude Fall Market 2019!
Participating showrooms to-date include: A. Rudin, Carl Marias Carpet Design, Donghia, HOLLY HUNT, Innovations, JD Staron, Kneedler Fauchere, Mimi London, PERFEC Hardwood Floors, Quintus, Thibaut | Arte | Egg & Dart, Thomas Lavin, and Tidelli Outdoor Living.
GELATO FESTIVAL POP-UP
Enjoy a taste of the definitive gelato experience as the team from Gelato Festival America hosts a Pop-Up in the Green Lobby from 12:00 PM – 3:00 PM. Enjoy the flavors of artisan gelato with complimentary samplings served-up fresh and delicious! The day after market, the pop-up moves to the Red Building Motor Court next to the Silver Bullet Express, from 12:00 PM – 3:00 PM. And don’t miss the Gelato Festival on September 28 and 29 from 11:00 AM – 7:00 PM in the PDC Plaza. Visit their website for tickets and information.
Like what you see? Get it first with a subscription to ASPIRE DESIGN AND HOME Magazine.